the future

Okay, as far as it possibly ever to know (in life in general and in our family in particular), it is now decided that we will stay in our current location until December.

Hooray to knowing what’s happening, and a half-hearted whoop to the thought, do I really want to be here that long?!

L didn’t sleep for 3 hours last night, and instead regaled us with a loud and heartfelt aria concerning pain, anguish and the likelihood of imminent death.  (I think she was overreacting, but maybe she was just feeling Mummy’s mounting frustration…)  In any case, it was good exercise for her little lungs and amazingly didn’t tire her out one bit.  I am a walking zombie today, however.

R is off school today with probably the same cold L’s going down with.  She has a temperature and coughs like a saw.  It’s this heat that’s making us all sick – I’ve had a cold for goodness knows how long – but I’m sure it’s something to do with this country that makes us more ill than other countries too.

We’ve had lots of problems in the house the past couple of weeks, too.  All in all, I’m looking forward to getting on the plane and having a break from the place, hence the half-heartedness of the whoop!

Anyway, once we come back, G will go back into his class (they’ve kindly opened a place for him even though they’ve given his place to someone else already), E will go to a new school if she passes the test next week and they accept her, and R will stay home with me.  So now I can start planning it all!

And I’m looking forward to:  salad every day, getting to grips with the garden, more time with all our friends here, but not necessarily in that order.  Anyway, there’s plenty to enjoy here once I look for it!


Now that my youngest is one, I thought it might be time to try and resurrect the ol’ blog.  Theoretically I have a little more time on my hands, although in reality I’m preparing for a possible house move.

“Possible”.  Interesting word in that context.  Most expats here have uncertainty about when they will be allowed to come and work in this country.  We have uncertainty about when we will leave.  Usually when someone does not have a planned departure, it’s because they’re given three days to pack their bags…  In our case, it’s two things:  M has no replacement for his current job, and his new job (which doesn’t yet exist, so no hurry to take over from someone leaving, at least) needs a work permit, which may take longer to process than was initially thought.

“How do you cope with the uncertainty?” someone asked me the other week.  The funny thing is, I’ve known since last summer that this was likely to be our last year here, and also I’ve known that the chosen destination (Canada) was a possibility.  For six months, the future remained uncertain.  Maybe Canada, maybe somewhere else.  Most likely not here.  Occasionally, staying here (but with a different organisation) floated about as a possibility, but each time it was eventually discounted and we were back where we had been before.  In February, M decided that a decision should at some point be made and that time should be now (February now, not May 9th now).  So he accepted the job and I finally allowed myself to get excited.  Maybe six weeks later, when staying here was again floating about (like a lazy housefly that buzzes near your head and stubbornly refuses to be swatted), he pointed out that as yet no contract had been signed, so perhaps I had been a little premature to believe it to be a done deal…

<sigh>  I said to the aforementioned friend that uncertainty had been hanging about so long it was no problem to me now – but you can tell that’s not really true, can’t you?  The contract has now been signed, and we will be going, but when is unknown.  August?  September?  October?  December?  Any of the above or none, as far as we can tell.  We just don’t have enough information to know!